Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Great Place to Work! Three times in a row

Creating a great multi dimensional work environment where people can and want to give their best at work is what the New Way of Working (NWoW) is all about. It will make organizations more effective and efficient and it will let people be happier at work. Happier in the sense of workplace satisfaction but also that people feel their potential is used best. And as we have seen in the blog on the ultimate business case, happier people are good for the economy both at the level of the organization as well as for the nation.

This morning I am at the office of Microsoft Nederland, my former employer, where I worked for 7 years and got 'initiated' into the NWoW somewhere at the end of 2005. Today I am here to give yet another presentation on this fabulous subject to customers of a Microsoft partner. Returning to this office always gives me joy. Why? Meeting old colleagues? Sure. But actually I enjoy 'meeting' the office, the way it looks, the way people meet and work here, the atmosphere. You just feel the energy. This office located at Schiphol airport opened end of April 2008; almost 3 years ago. At the time it was a sensation. At the time Microsoft was THE showcase of NWoW. My first book on NWoW appeared a year prior to the opening of the office. But end of April 2008 I could finally experience NWoW myself instead of just writing and talking about it. For more than a year I enjoyed working here at this office. I learned to appreciate the effect of a fantastic office environment on the overall work enjoyment. And now returning here as a guest I re-experience the feeling of working here. Yes, Microsoft Nederland is still a great place to work.

I am not alone in this appreciation. It's not just me and my focus on NWoW that made me such a happy employee. Just last week for the third time in a row Microsoft Nederland has been elected as the 'Great Place to Work' (in Dutch). Since 2004 Microsoft had been participating in this yearly competition, but they never were able to win. They finished fourth or third or even runner up; never number one. But after the introduction of NWoW and the move to the new office. Bingo. Number 1 employer in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

So congrats Microsoft Nederland with this achievement!!
And thanks for letting me return here every now and then.


PS Chapter 7 of my forthcoming book tells the complete story of the journey towards the New Way of Working of Microsoft Nederland and the results that have been scientifically verified.

No comments:

Post a Comment